Monday, November 5, 2007

Another alley. When I started painting alleys in my neighborhood I had no idea I would strike such a chord with viewers. People have universally been drawn to these paintings and always seem to know right where that alley is. Alleys seem to have a life of their own and lend themselves to a more intimate view of a neighborhood.
When we were kids the alley behind my grandparents house beckoned with the promise of great adventure. Being allowed to explore and play in the "Alley" was almost a rite of passage.
Walking an alley affords one a glimpse into others lives that is not allowed from the street. People and even dogs seem more friendly in an alley and conversation is invited and you are able to linger and slow down.
I suppose I could go around and find alleys to paint but I think I will stick to those I know even though that will limit my output.

No comments: